150 golfers hit the links at the Bemidji Town & Country Club in memory of the late Gordy Skaar, a passionate BSU Athletics supporter, to raise money for Bemidji State’s athletic programs on August 28, 2020.
Originally scheduled for mid-June, the 43rd Annual Gordy Skaar Memorial Golf Tournament was postponed due to COVID-19 concerns. Safety precautions included a tee-time start instead of the traditional shotgun start to allow for social distancing. No sit-down meal was provided or post-event social held. Participants were encouraged to wear face masks and maintain their social distance during the tournament.
Participants enjoyed on-course games included a long-drive challenge, closest-to-the-hole competition and a hole-in-one contest for a new car provided by Dondelinger GM in Bemidji.
Long-drive winners on holes 1, 3, 4, 8, 9 and 13 were Melissa Bluhm, Kathy Witther, Bruce Pederson, Len Rothlisberger, Jim Sutton and Shannon Norman, respectively. Closest-to-the-hole winners were Jerry Phillips (hole 2), Gordy Skaar, Jr. (hole 7), Brennan Hockman (hole 11) and Mathew Gregg (hole 14). No hole-in-ones were recorded on the day.
Instead of an in-person silent auction, an online auction was held to both protect participants and allow those not able to attend the tournament to bid on BSU merchandise, signed Minnesota Wild gear, a wood-fired pellet grill and more.
Low net scores:
- 1st place (50.4): Tom Serratore, Tim Dondelinger, Clint Cornell, Jeff Peltier, Paul Friesen
- 2nd place (50.7): Bryan Grand, Gary Erickson, Ron Kostohryz, Jim McElmury
- 3rd place (50.8): Gordy Skaar, Jr., Bob Skaar., Tom Johnson, TJ Johnson, Tom Reeves
Low gross scores:
- 1st place (49): Matt Haugstad, Justin Johnson, Aaron Leintz, Mitch Mackendanz, Matthew Gregg
- 2nd place (51): Mike Fogelson, Brandon Nelson, Mitchell Hendricks, Joseph Welle, Brennan Hockman
- 3rd place (55): Jordan Heller, Troy Dunlap, Rylee Curb, Luke Bruns, Austin Bellefy
The 2021 Gordy Skaar Memorial Golf Tournament will return in June 2021, date to-be-determined. The Gordy Skaar Memorial Golf Tournament has raised over $800,000 for BSU Athletics since 1978. Proceeds support student-athlete scholarships through the Beaver Pride fund and the Gordy Skaar Memorial endowment.